Luke 15: 11-24
Intro: There is God AS HE IS and God AS WE CONCEIVE HIM TO BE. We worship God as we conceive Him to he. Everything in the Christian life is simply a response to what we believe about God.
This passage is a picture of a father’s heart and shows us the kind of God we have.
I. GOD IS A FATHER KIND OF GOD WHO GRIEVES OVER EVERY ONE OF US
A. This is a new revelation. You don’t find this concept in the Old Testament. The first time God is referred to as “Our Father” is in Matthew 6.
B. God has to accommodate Himself to our language. Everyone understands what a father is supposed to be
C. God voluntarily exposes Himself to pain when He becomes “Our Father”. The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to hurt. (v. 20) The father is suffering more than the prodigal.
II. GOD RECEIVES US JUST AS WE ARE.
A. He won’t let you stay as you are but there are no words of recrimination.
B. The Father saw him a great way off and ran to him. (v. 20)
C. The son waited so long to come home because he didn’t know his father.
1. He said, “I am no LONGER worthy to be called thy son”. (v. 21) At one time he thought he was worthy. His worthiness never had anything to do with it. His sin never made him LESS WORTHY and his righteousness never made him MORE WORTHY. IT IS ALL A MATTER OF GRACE.
2. He said, “Make me as one of thy hired servants.” (v. 19) God has a fixed and established attitude toward us and it is one of mercy and grace.
III. GOD TREATS US AS THOUGH WE’D NEVER BEEN AWAY.
A. There is no rebuke. He didn’t say, “I told you so.” (James 1:5)
B. There is no probation. (v. 22) He didn’t wait until he was cleaned up, smelling good and presentable. The father said to his slaves. “Quickly bring out the
1. He had them put the best robe on him.
2. He had them put a ring on his hand. This was like giving him a credit card..
3. He had them put sandals on his feet. The slaves went barefoot but the children wore shoes.
THIS YOUNG MAN FOUND EVERYTHING HE WAS LOOKING FOR IN HIS FATHER’S HOUSE. HE MADE THE TRIP FOR NOTHING.
©Ron Dunn, LifeStyle Ministries, 2002