1 John 5:9-13
INTRO: Human divisions and Divine divisions are radically different. The world divides men differently that God divides men. SOCIAL and SPIRITUAL….
The world divides horizontally–lower, middle, upper
God divides vertically: The saved and the lost, the haves and the have nots.. .those who have the Son and those who don’t have the Son; those who have life and those who don’t have life.. .and the DIVIDER IS JESUS CHRIST.
This passage: God is testifying to us concerning Jesus Christ, His Son.., if we believe the testimony of men, how more should we believe the testimony of God. And if you reject the testimony, you’re calling God a liar. IN REJECTING CHRIST, YOU CALL GOD A LIAR!
The issue isn’t doctrine, or church, or creed, or conduct, but LIFE AND DEATH. This is a life and death decision. The issue is whether or not you will live!
WHAT GOD HAS TO SAY ABOUT THE LIFE HE OFFERS;
I. THIS IS GOD’S LIFE.
It is called ETERNAL life.
1. What does that mean? Living forever? MORE THAN THAT. Not everyone wants to live forever. Over 600 people a day commit suicide in the US . The greatest cause of death among teenagers is suicide.
2. It is not how long you live but HOW YOU LIVE. NOT ADDING YEARS TO LIFE, BUT ADDING LIFE TO YEARS.
3. It is ETERNAL life, that adjective can be correctly applied to only one noun–GOD. Only He qualifies for the word eternal.
(1) It is a GOD-KIND of life He offers. Life on a new plane, a new dimension of living.
(2) II Peter 1:4, partakers of God’s nature. Col. 2:9,10 COMPLETE IN CHRIST. We have been born of God—like produces like…just as my father passed on his nature through my birth, so my Heavenly Father passed on His nature through the spiritual birth.
(3) This is the fulfillment of our destiny.., what God intended us to be. We are not as God intended. We are sinful, selfish, hateful, envious–THIS IS THE IMAGE OF GOD?
Illustration: car with a new transmission —still looks the same, same dents, and scratches, same age, but something new has been added within and now runs the way its maker intended.
(4) You can’t LOSE it. It is eternal. I’m just as eternal as God is. Col. 3:3 says that” Christ is our life.” I have right now all of God I’ll ever have–without the hindrances of the flesh.
Illustration: You received at your physical birth everything needed to live physical life. It is the same with spiritual birth. Growth is discovering what you received at birth and learning to use it.
II. THIS LIFE IS GOD’S GIFT.
“God hath given.
1. If eternal applies only to God, then to earn it we have to become God. Just as easy to become God as it is to save yourself
2. Romans 6:23–all we can earn is DEATH.
Illustration: Going up on a down escalator. It makes a little progress but doesn’t alter final destination.
Illustration: Like throwing flowers on grave. It doesn’t change the death inside, just makes the outside more acceptable.
III. THIS LIFE IS IN GOD’S SON.
1. It is in His Son not in the church, baptism, doctrine Church membership is the trap door the devil is using to drop millions into Hell.
2. Sign post simply shows the way, won’t take you there. The church is the sign post pointing the way to salvation.
3. How we receive the Son. Revelation 3:20.
IV. THIS LIFE IS GOD-WITNESSED.
1. You can know you have it. The word for “know” is a strong word that indicates absolute certainty.
(1) The witness of Behavior.
(2) The witness of Brotherhood.
(3) The witness of Belief– brings the internal witness of the Spirit.
V. THIS LIFE IS RECEIVED BY FAITH.
Verse 10–believeth into the Son–faith is universal and democratic and available to anyone under any circumstance. Christmas Evans: “I can put a man in a rain barrel, wrap a chain” around it, kick out the knothole and shout through it how to be saved, and he can be saved.”
1 John 1:24-29
INTRO: I John presents the fundamentals for living the victorious Christian life.
John has been dealing with the things that are to be excluded from the believer’s life.., the love of the world, the spirit of antichrist.. THE DANGERS FACING THE BELIEVER IN THE WORLD An ever-present danger…
John pointing to the place of safety, the way to avoid all these things… here are safeguards for times of crisis.
I. THE ABIDING OF THE SAINTS (v. 24)
ABIDE” occurs 6 times in this passage…
“IN YOU” means to settle down, make a home. This is an index finger pointing to the nature of salvation.
1. You must know the nature of salvation before you can live in victory.. .The Christian life must be lived in harmony with its’ nature.
Many schemes of Christian living are contrary to the nature of the Christian life, therefore, they fail.
2. Salvation is an INWARD EXPERIENCE.. .A man’s life is ruled from within. Jesus said that it is what comes out of a man that defiles and destroys him.
3. It is a PERMANENT EXPERIENCE… “Continually abide”. It comes to stay, a vital part of you. To remain is the essential thing.
4. What is it that we are to let live within us? “THAT WHICH YOU HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING…”
THE WORD OF GOD, THE FACTS OF THE GOSPEL… THE WORD OF GOD IS TO LIVE WITHIN US CONTROLLING US, THE STANDARD OF OUR LIVING, THE CONTROLLING FORCE IN OUR LIVES.
(1) This is the secret of fruitfulness. John 15:5
(2) This is the secret of answered prayer. John 15:7
(3) This is the secret of growth. I Peter 2:1,2
(4) This is the secret of a successful life. Psalm 1:2,3
(5) This is the secret of a clean life. Psalm 119:9,11
II. THE ANOINTING OF THE SPIRIT (vs. 27)
1. Unction, anointing, a christening ..possession of the Spirit of truth without measure or limit. (v. 20)
2. This anointing provides an antiseptic power—preserves from corruption and decay. “NO ONE SHALL DECEIVE YOU.”
3. He teaches us right from wrong. You can teach an animal tricks but not right from wrong.
Some church members have learned some tricks but not discernment.
The IMPARTATION OF THE SPIRIT teaches us, instructs us in what is true and false.. .THIS IS A PLEA TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND APPROPRIATE THE ANOINTING OF THE SPIRIT.
III. THE APPEARING OF THE SAVIOUR (vv. 28, 29)
1. “Shall appear” Word carries idea of suddenness. Only thing uncertain about His coming is the time.
2. HAVE CONFIDENCE… Freedom of speech, coming before God’s bar with nothing to hide.
Romans 3:19 Silent because guilty.. .here freedom and openness of speech.
3. Ashamed FROM Him: Turn away in shame and embarrassment. Not able to look upon His face.
4. HOW? Verse 29– Practice righteousness.
©Ron Dunn, LifeStyle Ministries, 2003