1 Peter 1:13-16
Duncan Campbell: “A baptism of holiness, a demonstration of godly living is the crying need of our day.”
I. IT IS THE PURPOSE OF OUR CONVERSION—”Ye shall be holy”. vs. 16.
II. IT IS PATTERNED AFTER CHRIST, VS 15, “But like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves.”
1. The Old Standard Abandoned: vs. 14, “As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were your in ignorance.”
2. The New Standard Adopted: vv 15,16, “But like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves in all your behavior; because it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy’”
III. IT IS TO BE PORTRAYED IN ALL CONDUCT. “Be holy yourselves in all your behavior.” vs. 15.
IV. IT IS POSSIBLE THROUGH GOD’S CALL. “Like the Holy One who called you.” v. 15. “Called” always means “the EFFECTIVE call of God.
1. Be Serious. “Gird up your minds for action.” v. 13
2. Be Sober. “Keep sober in spirit.” v.13 — moral alertness
3. Be separated. “Do not be conformed to the former lusts.” v. 14. A
Definite and Daily break with the world.
Robert Murray McCheyne: “The greatest ambition of my life is to be a holy man.”
©Ron Dunn, LifeStyle Ministries, 2001