1 John 1:24-29
INTRO: I John presents the fundamentals for living the victorious Christian life.
John has been dealing with the things that are to be excluded from the believer’s life.., the love of the world, the spirit of antichrist.. THE DANGERS FACING THE BELIEVER IN THE WORLD An ever-present danger…
John pointing to the place of safety, the way to avoid all these things… here are safeguards for times of crisis.
I. THE ABIDING OF THE SAINTS (v. 24)
ABIDE” occurs 6 times in this passage…
“IN YOU” means to settle down, make a home. This is an index finger pointing to the nature of salvation.
1. You must know the nature of salvation before you can live in victory.. .The Christian life must be lived in harmony with its’ nature.
Many schemes of Christian living are contrary to the nature of the Christian life, therefore, they fail.
2. Salvation is an INWARD EXPERIENCE.. .A man’s life is ruled from within. Jesus said that it is what comes out of a man that defiles and destroys him.
3. It is a PERMANENT EXPERIENCE… “Continually abide”. It comes to stay, a vital part of you. To remain is the essential thing.
4. What is it that we are to let live within us? “THAT WHICH YOU HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING…”
THE WORD OF GOD, THE FACTS OF THE GOSPEL… THE WORD OF GOD IS TO LIVE WITHIN US CONTROLLING US, THE STANDARD OF OUR LIVING, THE CONTROLLING FORCE IN OUR LIVES.
(1) This is the secret of fruitfulness. John 15:5
(2) This is the secret of answered prayer. John 15:7
(3) This is the secret of growth. I Peter 2:1,2
(4) This is the secret of a successful life. Psalm 1:2,3
(5) This is the secret of a clean life. Psalm 119:9,11
II. THE ANOINTING OF THE SPIRIT (vs. 27)
1. Unction, anointing, a christening ..possession of the Spirit of truth without measure or limit. (v. 20)
2. This anointing provides an antiseptic power—preserves from corruption and decay. “NO ONE SHALL DECEIVE YOU.”
3. He teaches us right from wrong. You can teach an animal tricks but not right from wrong.
Some church members have learned some tricks but not discernment.
The IMPARTATION OF THE SPIRIT teaches us, instructs us in what is true and false.. .THIS IS A PLEA TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND APPROPRIATE THE ANOINTING OF THE SPIRIT.
III. THE APPEARING OF THE SAVIOUR (vv. 28, 29)
1. “Shall appear” Word carries idea of suddenness. Only thing uncertain about His coming is the time.
2. HAVE CONFIDENCE… Freedom of speech, coming before God’s bar with nothing to hide.
Romans 3:19 Silent because guilty.. .here freedom and openness of speech.
3. Ashamed FROM Him: Turn away in shame and embarrassment. Not able to look upon His face.
4. HOW? Verse 29– Practice righteousness.
©Ron Dunn, LifeStyle Ministries, 2003